Who you are
Active England is looking for an outstanding Operations Manager to build out their career within the travel industry. You’ll have a strong work ethic, impeccable attention to detail, the ability to get the best from a team and the inter-personal skills to work as part of one of the fastest growing active travel companies in the industry.
Who we are
Active England Tours (AET) is an active travel operator providing an unrivalled premium experience for active inbound tourists and residents in England. AET runs a high number of beautifully curated, high-end, active tours including guided, self-guided and bespoke cycling, walking, swimming and wellbeing adventures. From our origin in the Cotswolds, we have become the premier provider of active holidays across England. We run trips in Devon, Cornwall, The Lake District, Yorkshire and Northumberland and are now branching out into Scotland and Wales. While running our own direct tours we also work with numerous business partners within the industry, creating and operating their English active holidays. Our mission is to open up England as a destination for active travel and continue to be the go-to travel company to book and work with!
Required skills and abilities
- Strong work ethic.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to get the best from a team and the.
- Inter-personal skills to work as part of one of the fastest growing active travel companies in the industry.
The main responsibilities which form the role include:-
- Preparing all tours by completing the tour manifests. Pull together all the information including Hotels, meal details, events and attractions, equipment, guides. Ensure all information is packed together so guides can execute the tours packages sold.
- Guide recruitment and training (alongside the Operations Director) in the winter months ready for the next season. This will include the organising of recruitment days through to end of season celebrations.
- Scheduling of the guides throughout our busy summer season. Our guide schedule is complex and across multiple active pursuits in multiple destinations.
- Preparing and allocating the bicycle fleet (300 bikes) in accordance with business needs on a weekly basis, ensuring all tours have the correct bicycles ready in advance.
- The Operations Manager will allocate the work for mechanics and other staff members in our facility on the edge of the Cotswolds. A good working knowledge of bikes is preferable.
- The first port of call for our B2B and internal B2C clients and liaising with the on-call bicycle mechanic and support staff for all emergency situations and regular bicycle issues. This role may include the Operations Manager being an on-call for support on tours, alongside other members of the core team.
- Operations Manager will be the transport manager for the increasing number of Active England vehicles, trailers and other equipment. Develop and maintaining the vehicle maintenance schedule and tour schedule. This will include all vehicle accessories such as trailers and racks.
- The Operations Manager will assist in managing the facilities and operations budget, alongside maintaining the inventory management processes via our organisational software systems.
- Overseeing the operational hub ensuring best practice within all Health and Safety legislation. Delivering training to staff members who visit the operational hub on an annual basis.
- Build strong relations with local suppliers which may include other facilities managers, hotels, equipment suppliers and operators contracted with the company.
- Managing a small team of staff in operations across the country, including bike mechanics and other operational staff. Travelling to visit other facilities in the North and South-West to deliver training and monitor facilities and equipment.
- Leading as a guide on our tours and activities across the country.
- Permanent, Full-time employment
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays and potential to earn up to 10 days additional annual leave days (due to heavy workload in summer months)
- Flexible / Hybrid (potentially remote for a highly experienced candidate)
- Company Stakeholder Pension
- Company Private Health Plan and Maternity Package
- Training & career development opportunities
- Team challenge weekends away and team activity days afternoons
- Industry discounts including outdoor clothing/equipment, travel and insurance