If you are anything like me, you’ll be spending our current lockdown thinking about all the things you want to do when we are allowed ‘out’ again, when we can travel freely and treat ourselves to all of our missed holidays. What I believe is currently longed for while we are cooped up indoors is nature, the countryside and fresh outdoor air. To my mind, all these things are on our doorstep, in the United Kingdom, in England.
Whether you are looking to explore the Cotswolds’ rolling hills, national trails and pint-pulling pubs, or the rugged Cornish coast’s footpaths, cliffs and harbour towns, Oxford’s canals and meadows or Bath’s green valley’s and rivers, there are many reasons to choose UK holidays in the country over a trip abroad.
Here are 5 reasons to get you thinking about choosing to holiday in England in 2020 and 2021:
- The England landscape – the countryside, the coast, the rivers, lakes, mountains and ocean, all on one island. We have a wealth of beautiful scenery in England and wonderful activity options to explore them: including Kayaking rivers, canoeing canals, stand-up-paddleboard in our lakes, punting into towns, walking our long distance National Trails, or cycling down our winding country lanes, there are so many active ways to experience our countryside with friends, family or on your own
- Ease of travel in England. So many places are easily accessible by train out from London, Bristol or the Midlands, getting from platform to pint and into the country in an hour. Rather than spending time travelling to your holiday destination, cut down on the travelling time and travel closer to home.
- Hassle Free, simplicity of travelling at home. The simplicity of having a holiday at home is wonderful – everyone can meet up easily, even if travelling from different places, you don’t need passports or visas. Everyone already speaks the language and isn’t tired from their journey upon arrival.
- Affordability of trips in England. Without flights and car hire to consider, you’ll have more money to spend on the fun things like exploring, eating out and trying new activities.
- Getting to know your country. Wherever you stay there will be stunning scenery to admire and hundreds upon hundreds of years of history and heritage to explore. From castles to palaces, ancient burial mounds, stone henges, Roman Baths, towers, monuments, gardens, Holloways and so much more.
3 of the Best English Adventure Holidays
What we are craving is to put on our walking boots, our cycling helmets, our wetsuits and wellies and to get outside into our beautiful English landscape on an adventure. If any of these have inspired you to holiday in the UK, take a look at our weeks and weekends away in England, from long distance walks to glamping trips and firepits, Cornish cycling and hiking in the Cotswolds:
- Cotswolds Multisport Weekends: Get stuck into a weekend away, with your sort of active like-minded folk. Enjoy morning swims, SUP yoga, biking, walking or canoeing. Spend your days outdoors and your evenings around the firepit, with homecooked food, a beer in hand, and a great group around you!
- Cycling Cornwall and the Coast: Off road tracks, quiet country lanes, harbour towns, coastal villages, clifftop views and seafood galore. Hassle-free self-guided cycling holidays visiting all the Cornish highlights on two wheels: from the Jewel of St Ives to the stunning St Michael’s Mount, Charlestown harbour, Penzance, Padstow and, of course, Land’s End.
- The Cotswolds Way Long-Distance Walk: Walk at your own pace and step back in time on this idyllic walk through the heart of the English countryside. Along routes used since prehistoric times, winding through villages, tracing ridgeways, down Holloways, into woodlands, valleys, and with panoramic views around every corner. These linear journeys are the perfect way to discover England at its finest.